Monday, September 23, 2013

Dr. King and Stevie Wonder

Our last full day in Hotlanta! We were feeling guilty about our lack complete absence of MLK sightseeing in the city so far, so we hit it up first thing. I was apprehensive at first, since I’ve come to have the reputation of being a prejudiced bitch in the Aye Tee Elle, but I figured Dr. King would take mercy upon me and want me to come say what’s up anyway.

Here’s his childhood home, where he was born. It’s a big house – his grandparents lived on the first floor and his family resided above.



This is the church he attended as a child and young teen, and where his father pastured. Dr. King came back and co-pastored with his father later in life.




This is the final resting place of Dr. King and his wife, Coretta. Across the way is the eternal flame.





The visitor’s center was small, and had the usual historical and video and pictorial displays. Like most people, I’ve heard Dr. King’s I Have A Dream speech in class and on the television several times, and can hear snippets of his other speeches at various points in my life. So, I was surprised at how astounded I was in hearing what incredible a speaker he really embodied. After several short and one long (30 minute) films in the center, you hear several of his speeches – he has an excellent way with words, tremendous candor, and was a truly motivational speaker – not only in the content of his speeches but in the tenor and tenacity you can hear in his voice. Reading about how he sacrificed convenience and comfort for himself and his family to lead a movement in the 50’s and 60’s was inspiring, and his calm and collected demeanor in preaching non violence was moving. In retrospect, I was happy I didn't sock that street guy in the face. ‘Cause, you know, Dr. King would have been pretty bummed about that I think.

This is the wagon they used to pull Dr. King's casket to Ebenezer Baptist Church.



Mural outsite

Also in the visitor's center was a phone booth. Holy fuck!


They had a pretty sweet “walk of fame” outside the center. The walk of fame was confusing, as the purpose was unclear – they had civil rights leaders and pastors… along with Ted Turner and Sammy Davis Jr. footprints. Whatever. I followed the famous footsteps of Stevie Wonder so I was happy.
  

Ghandi, watching over the hall of fame.


Me and Stevie. <3

EPIC food today. EPIC. Oh wait sorry, we need to stop using the word EPIC to describe cool things, because it's obnoxious and wrong. Anyway, one of the best meals of my life was consumed today... prepared by a Cabrillo High (that's my high school in Vandenberg Village/Lompoc) alum! All the way in the South! High def and dimly lit pics coming tomorrow!

So what about you? Have you seen the MLK sites? Walked in any famous footsteps? Resisted the urge to sock some asshole in the face because you're trying out this "non violence" thing? Decided that you are in desperate need of a foot transplant after seeing a picture of your disgusting veiny feet?

No comments:

Post a Comment